Protecting the privacy of employers, workers and any other stakeholder we interact with has always been important to TasBuild Limited (TasBuild). This policy provides information about;
- details we collect; and
- why we need this information; and
- how we maintain the information collected in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APP).
This Policy applies to TasBuild Limited as Trustee for the Construction Industry Long Service Fund, the Board, Management, Staff and any consultants/contractors engaged by TasBuild.
The endorsement and implementation of this policy is the responsibility of the Chief Executive Officer. The Board, CEO and all Employees have responsibility for compliance with and application of this policy.
You have the option of interacting with TasBuild anonymously or by using a pseudonym. If you utilise this option, any information provided will only be general in nature as we will not be able to reference your specific details. The provision of identifying information is required by law and/or for integrity purposes to provide access to some services.
Why We Need your Personal Information
We may collect a range of personal information for the following purposes:
• establishing your account
• identifying you or any agents acting on your behalf
• verifying your identity
• administering your account, recording service to your account, paying or transferring your long service
• assessing your eligibility for benefit entitlements
• providing you with information about long service
• complying with laws and reporting requirements and assisting government or law enforcement agencies
• managing and resolving complaints made by you
• research to improve products and services
• assessing your job application.
We may also collect personal information for related purposes such as:
• informing you of opportunities, special offers and promotions, potentially including marketing materials by third parties;
• research and feedback to improve the products and services available to you.
You can advise us at any time if you do not want us to use your personal information for the marketing and research purposes outlined above. This means that we will not advise you of opportunities and additional services available to you.
Where we use your personal information to contact you for marketing and research purposes, we will give you the opportunity to opt out of any future direct marketing campaigns at the time of contacting you.
Information We Collect
The type of personal information we collect for workers may include your:
• full name
• date of birth
• tax file number (TFN)
• identification documents
• contact details including address, phone number and email address
• residency and citizenship status
• employment details including salary
• financial information such as banking details, and your applications for entitlements
• other information necessary to provide services to you
We may also need to collect sensitive personal information about you, but only with your consent. This will generally be limited to information about your health, personal circumstances or financial status in relation to a claim lodged for a pro rata entitlement. We won’t use your sensitive information for any other purpose or share it with anyone else without your permission.
The type of information we collect for employers may include your:
• business name
• Australian Business Number
• contact details including address, phone number, email address and contact person
• employment details for workers
• contractor engagement arrangements
• other information necessary to provide services to you
You may choose not to provide some types of information we request. If you don’t provide complete or accurate information, this may have adverse implications such as:
• preventing us from contacting you;
• appropriate management of your account;
• preventing or delaying the processing of your request; or
• impacting the payment of your entitlement
How we Collect your Information
For workers, where possible, we will collect your personal information directly from you, but the normal process is for your employer to initiate the creation of a worker account and provision of information for a worker in compliance with the Construction Industry (Long Service) Act 1997.
There may be occasions where we collect information from an authorised representative, third parties such as the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), and publicly available sources.
For employers this will be through the registration process, by submission of periodic returns and may be supplemented with additional information provided through ongoing administration interactions.
Collection of information from you will occur when you contact us to request that we provide a service. We may continue to collect your personal information during the course of our relationship. Your communications with us may be monitored and recorded. This is so we can improve our products and services, to ensure compliance with our policies and procedures or if required provide evidence in the case of a dispute.
We collect personal information when you lodge forms such as entitlement claims and change of personal details forms, if you send us documents containing personal information, or if you pass security checks and provide updates to your information either over the phone or in writing. We also collect your personal information when you update your details on our online member portal.
If we do not have your personal information, including your name, date of birth, address, contact phone numbers, email address and TFN these can be provided to us by your employer to enable us to accept, and process, your recorded service and maintain your account. We may also collect your personal information from the ATO, other interstate long service entities and other third parties where it is necessary for the
administration of your account or provision of benefits and services to you. Where information has been collected from a third party, it is the responsibility of the third party to notify the person that their personal information has been disclosed to us.
How we Securely Store your Information
We have security measures in place to protect your personal information.
Your information can only be accessed by authorised staff and service providers performing specific functions, and we protect your personal information.
All information is protected from unauthorised access through the use of secure passwords, user logins or other security procedures. Developments in security and encryption technology will be reviewed regularly. Staff are trained in the correct manner to handle personal information and do so with a high degree of care.
How You Can Access and Update your Personal Information
You have a right to know what information we hold about you and to have it corrected if required. You can access your personal information by logging into your account by the online worker portal or you can call TasBuild on (03) 6294 0807.
Employers can access information we hold about your entity including employment information supplied about workers but not employment information supplied by other employers.
Your request for access to your personal information will be responded to within 30 days of us receiving the request. You will not be charged for making the request for information and information will usually be provided free of charge. However, we reserve the right to impose reasonable charges for provision of information either generally or on a case-by-case basis.
There are some circumstances in which access to information may be denied or restricted. If this applies to you, we will explain this when you ask for your information.
To update your personal information, you can:
• visit the TasBuild office in person at Level 3, 6 Bayfield Street, Rosny Park;
• log into your account through the online worker portal;
• call us on (03) 6294 0807;
• write to us at TasBuild, PO Box 3031, Rosny Park TAS 7018; or
• email us at [email protected]
How we Retain your Personal Information
Records are retained indefinitely as the scheme provides for itinerant work patterns. Workers may leave and re-enter the construction industry and add to their previous entitlements.
Disclosure of your Personal Information
We will not share your information with anyone who doesn’t have authority to obtain your information.
There are instances where we need to give your personal information to third parties, though there are strict controls on how these third parties can use this information. The types of third parties to which we may disclose your personal information include:
• printing and mailing companies
• archiving companies
• actuaries, accountants, auditors, legal advisers and regulators
• medical practitioners and other providers that assist with assessment of pro rata claims
• marketing and research companies providing services to TasBuild
• organisations maintaining and providing our information technology systems and services
• service providers and other advisers appointed by us
• your spouse or former spouse, to the extent required by law
• a third party where authorisation has been provided by you
• your dependants, legal personal representative or power of attorney as appropriate
• any interstate jurisdiction in accordance with the reciprocal arrangement between the schemes to facilitate continuation of accrual of recorded service and eventual payment of a long service entitlement;
• government agencies (including the ATO, Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre, Centrelink, Tasmanian Government agencies, the Courts and any other bodies or persons where required by law.
• we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas entity is committed to protecting the individual’s privacy and complies with the APP or
• we reasonably believe that:
o the overseas entity is subject to a law or binding scheme that, overall, is at least substantially similar to the way in which the APP protect information, and there are mechanisms that the individual can access to take action to enforce that protection of the law or binding scheme or
o the disclosure of the information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order or
o the overseas entity is an agency and the disclosure of the information is required or authorised by or under an international agreement relating to information sharing to which Australia is a party or
o the overseas entity is an agency and the overseas entity reasonably believes that the disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body, and the recipient is a body
that performs functions, or exercises powers, that are similar to those performed or exercised by an enforcement body.
Your personal information will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent, except where required by super, tax or other relevant law. For example, we are required to report certain information to the ATO for tax related purposes.
We may disclose information to a third party nominated by you, such as your accountant, where authorisation has been provided by you.
We will only disclose your sensitive personal information with your consent. However, without your consent, we may not be able to process your pro rata entitlement claim.
Quality of your Personal Information
We rely on accurate, complete and up-to-date personal information to provide you with services. We take steps to ensure that your personal information is complete and up to date by maintaining and updating personal information when you advise us that your personal information has changed, and/or by proactively seeking clarification of details as necessary.
If there are any changes to your personal information, we encourage you to advise us immediately so we can update your details.
Your Privacy and the Internet
Security of your information
While all reasonable steps are taken to protect your personal information provided through the internet, you should be aware that there are general risks associated with transmitting personal information through the internet. You should assess these potential risks before deciding whether to use our online services. If you do not want to transmit personal information over the internet you may provide information to us by mail, phone or in person.
What information do we collect?
The general and personal information collected online depends on how you use the TasBuild website.
If you visit an unsecured area of the website to read or download information, our service provider will log information for statistical purposes.
We will try not to identify users or their browsing activities or merge this with personally identifiable information. An exception is, in the event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect the service provider’s logs.
Interactive tools on the website, such as calculators, often require you to provide personal information. We only retain this information where a calculator or similar tool allows you to save information and retrieve it at a later time. The information stored will not ordinarily be viewed by us.
How we handle email
If you provide us with your email address, we may use it to send regular communications such as updates on services.
We will preserve the content of any email that you send us, if we believe we have a legal requirement to do so. Your email content may be monitored for security issues, including where email abuse is suspected. Our response to you may be monitored for quality assurances purposes.
Cookies are small text files that are sent to the user’s browser to allow the web page browser to retrieve information from the computer. Cookies can either be temporary session cookies or stored permanently on a computer. We use traditional web browser cookies.
If you are concerned about cookies, you should be able to adjust your computer settings so that cookies will be rejected, however, this means that you may be unable to view secure pages.
Links to other websites
Our website has links to other internet sites.
These are provided as a convenience to you. We make no warranties and accept no liability in relation to the material contained on any linked external websites.
Who owns this site?
The website is owned by TasBuild.
Approval of this policy is the responsibility of the Board of TasBuild Limited.
ACCESS TO POLICY
This policy can be accessed on the TasBuild website at https://tasbuild.com.au by printing this document or by calling TasBuild on (03) 6294 0807 and requesting a hard copy free of charge.
- there are changes to relevant standards